Sometimes I find myself overcome by a surprise rush of happiness. It’s like warm puppy kisses and a wave of lightheadedness like from champagne with tiny bubbles.
Sometimes I’m surprised by the proximate cause. Upon my analysis I think there may be something wrong with me. So be it. I thought I’d share just a few of the things that make me inexplicably happy.
- Empty tupperware containers in the sink evidencing the enjoyment of leftovers when the Big Guy got home late last night.
- Pulling my red raincoat out of the closet.
- Every single time my friend posts anything about Mount Vernon on Facebook. He does it a lot, too.
- Trout on a menu. I might not eat it every time but am oddly ecstatic that it’s there.
- Wool socks that belonged to someone with big feet that shrunk to my size and because of the concentration of yarn have an extra deep layer of lamby, cushiony comfort.
- The Beast bounding to the door then stopping just before he reaches me to turn around to find a toy to present as tribute.
- Grape potatoes.
- Hearing a Muzaked version of a Red Hot Chili Peppers song. It should, but does not, offend me.
- The strike of a match and smell of sulfur for the dinner candles.
- Texts from Baby Bear rueing the current state of political affairs.
- The fresh fish displayed on what looks like black marble in the case at The District Fishwife.
- Pulling the threads to open up the pocket on a new jacket. The moment when you pull that long string and the pocket is fully freed? That.
- Seeing the neighbor kid driving their folks’ car for the first time. Scary, too.
- Honey in a comb, especially if it sits next to the tasty mustard on my artisan charcuterie plate.
- The laser mouse for our TV. Every time I use it, I’m excited.
- A fourth grader opening a book they’re carrying then shoving their face between the pages as soon as they find a place to sit.
- Someone truly enjoying the music that I’m hearing from their headphones. Bonus if they’re singing–with or without sound. Quality of singing not a factor in my joy.
- Dogs sniffing and spinning and positioning their rumps to take a crap.
- The way the hinge rocks up and down on my ancient Wayfarers.
- The spouse, haloed by the lamp, sitting on the couch doing a crossword puzzle.
- People blindly walking down the street with their conference name tag. I well up in affection. Sometimes I suggest that they take it off. For safety’s sake.
- Peeling a slightly dried out clementine. There is a pleasure in the way that it almosts pops like a bubble as you pull away the peel.
- Someone flirting with me. I don’t care that his cologne is eau du piss and his bling is the jingle of coins in the cup he picked out of the trash. I’m still flattered.
- Hitting publish on a post.
Well, that last one isn’t so inexplicable, but I don’t really have much explanation for the rest.
I hope that you, too, My Loyal Reader, have simple things that make you inexplicably happy. Do share.